Jun 17, 2011

If it's Friday, it must be...

Swatch: Stash Day
Granny Square

I’ve written a fair amount about how much I enjoy knitting and crocheting gifts for friends and family but another thing I recently have come to enjoy is contributing to charity efforts to make afghans and blankets for those in need or those in difficulty. I'm part of a few different groups that are led by kind and generous women and men who bring out the best in those of us who want to help.  With this year's disasters in Japan and the American South, there has been a huge call to knit/crochet cozy items that will both warm and comfort those who have lost so much.

Being new to crochet, I wanted to choose a stitch that I could learn quickly and that would move fast into an afghan. These are granny squares and flowers in the snow motifs that I crocheted in dozens to be made up into afghans that have been sent to people recovering from an illness or natural disaster.


The granny square is really versatile -- it can be done in a variety of colors, in a single color, chunky, lacy -- and it grows and grows really quickly.  



This afghan went to the Binky Patrol and the update I got recently shared the good news that 137 blankets (binkies) were delivered to the recent tornado victims in the U.S. I am thankful to have been able to participate in making these afghans and invite you to consider knitting up a little something for someone who could use a little hand-made happiness.

2 comments:

  1. There is something really amazing about the generosity of crocheters - I have always been touched (as the former coordinator of several crochet/knit charity projects) about the amount of time and love people would put into items to give away to someone they have never even met.

    I love the colors on your large granny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love that flower in the snow motif! Granny squares are a great way to contribute, and use up bits of stash in a meaningful way. I've contributed grannies earlier this year, and probably will again before the year is up.

    ReplyDelete