Jun 22, 2012

Ta Da: New Pattern & Charity KAL

As so many of us have been blogging and talking about how our knitting changes in the warm weather months, it got me thinking that a hat is the perfect small project to work on when you don't want to be sweating under a large WIP.  For those of you going through winter (yes, Wei Siew and Kirsten, I'm talking to you), isn't this also the perfect time to be knitting hats?

I'm excited to release my new hat pattern today and want to thank each of you for such warm words of encouragement as I worked on this design.  It was a real labor of love and friendship as I got to exchange thoughts with Gail (tech editor extraordinaire) and Ivy (test knit master), both of whom saw small details that helped make the pattern that much more fun to knit.  Erin is also in the process of test knitting this hat, and I'm looking forward to seeing hers when she's done. So, here it is:  The Miranda Hat!  It's a quick, one skein project, and I'm so pleased with how the design turned out.



Photograph by Ivy Mead


To celebrate this release, I'm hosting a charity Miranda Hat knitalong. Here's the plan: gather your materials and cast on the Miranda Hat anytime on or after June 24 and knit as many Miranda Hats as you'd like throughout the summer, ending on September 30. Please consider donating your hats to a local shelter or in-need program but, if you'd prefer, I'd love to receive your hats to donate to a very special group that my family and I volunteer with. Every other month, with a community group of volunteers, my family helps serve food to men, women, and children in need of a meal. Our team captain is a knitter, too, and she loved my suggestion of giving away hand-knit hats to any diner who would like one during November in anticipation of the holiday season. We're hoping to make this happen. To accommodate adults and children, the pattern comes in both adult and child sizes.




I've started a Project: Stash KAL Ravelry group so that we can keep track of each other's progress, and I truly hope you'll pop on over and join. Even if you only have time to knit one hat, that's one person who will have a little extra warmth this winter.


What else?  While I think knitting for charity is a gift in itself, I want to also give prizes as part of this charity KAL.  For July, I'm so pleased to have one of Gail's gorgeous box bags to giveaway.  
This is mine but the prize will be very similar


To be eligible to win, knit a Miranda Hat, post it on your blog, and link that to the Ravelry group. I'll create an FO thread. If you don't blog, please make sure to post it directly on the Ravelry group so we can all see your wonderful hats.  A random winner will be selected each month. There will also be a grand prize for the knitter who knits the most Miranda Hats by September 30 so stay tuned.

There are no restrictions on fiber -- natural will be most appreciated but as some people are allergic to wool and the like, acrylic hats are welcomed.  You pick the yarn, the color, and the size and in turn, someone will get a hand-knit hat this coming winter.


Thanks for reading all the way to the end of this long post, and I hope you'll knit-along!  

26 comments:

  1. I love that hat, it's gorgeous! You are part of a fantastic charity and I'm sure everyone will love and appreciated the hats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoohoo!!!! What a wonderful hat!! And a FANTASTIC idea! Count me in! My goal during my 30th birthday year (now) is to knit up 30 pieces of things for charity. I'm six months in and have knit up ONE hat. This will help :-) I'm off to join the ravelry group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so, so excited to be a part of this fun! I'll probably end up sending my finished hats (I'm not sure how many I will knit yet) to you because there aren't any that I know of around here accepting hand knits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! It's so fun to see this get off the ground after all our hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome hat! And a great idea!
    I was just getting kind of tired of shawls... ;) And here you are with a new challenge! My sister gets food from a local church every week and I'm going to ask them how many children they have and see if I can make them a couple hats for November.
    The weather here is anything but Summer but this makes me all warm inside!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an awesome, cute pattern. I don't know if I have the time or funds for yarn, but I joined you KAL group anyways, because it sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice hat! I'm always drawn to diamond like st patterns. Okay, I will try to do this as I haven't done any charity projects since November 2010 - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, I haven't been knitting hats, but my sister's name is Miranda, so she might just be getting one! Sure I've got some suitable yarn around somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! Hopefully after my summer internship ends (and I finish that sweater WIP) I'll get a chance to knock out a couple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a lovely pattern! Looking forward to joining the KAL. I love the charity aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hat and the idea! I am leaving on a road trip next week, but maybe when I get back...or I'll take it with me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on the new pattern, it looks great!! Great idea with the KAL will see if I can squeeze it in, I know there is a local organisation here who asks for knit hats for kids in poorer areas, so will send it there way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. great pattern! i wish i had the time for more KALs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty pattern--I will see if I can squeeze one on for charity...such a neat idea. Well done!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Evelyn, congrats again on another fab design - gorgeous hat! I haven't picked up the needles in weeks, new full time job keeping me busy, but when I do I'll try to get a hat done. Apologies if not in your time frame but I'm looking forward to trying out your pattern. Well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! It's a pretty design, and a great cause!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great hat and what a wonderful idea for a charity KAL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your new pattern! I'll be joining in to make a hat or two- actually I just found out that my local church (ACROSS THE STREET local) does a charity knitting group every second and fourth fridays and I have been wondering WHAT to make. Thanks! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. totally in! i have been wanting to focus more on charity knitting with my second YOP list! fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Congrats in publishing the pattern. I love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The hat is beautiful!! Congrats on the new pattern, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh...love the hat! Great job Evelyn :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful design Evelyn! I would love to take part in this KAL and send the hats to you! :)

    ReplyDelete