Jul 18, 2012

Yarn Along 21

I'm joining in Ginny's Yarn Along this week.


Thanks so much for all your lovely comments yesterday about the Project: Stash KAL July Prize.  Let's have one more glimpse at this beautiful box bag, shall we?


Whenever non-craftsy friends ask me why I love knitting (and knitters) so much, my first answer always is because you all appreciate the beauty of the hand-made.  But it's not just aesthetic appreciation that we all share -- we also know how important it is to create things with our hands, be they artistic or practical. Your response to Gail's handiwork was not a surprise -- you all get it!


Okay, back to knitting: my needles are getting a good work out this week with my Westwood Blouse. The yarn is lovely to knit with ... smooth and squishy which makes the seemingly endless stockinette stitches more tolerable. There's a detail in the pattern for a drawstring that will cinch the top just above the hips when worn. I debated about keeping that in my blouse, but in the end, I decided to follow the pattern so here it is:




I'm short-waisted so cinched tops don't typically look that great on me but if I keep this part of the blouse low enough so that it hits my hips where I'm comfortable, I think it'll be just fine.




I'm loving the subtle changes in tone as I knit and am really excited to see more of the fabric develop. On the reading front, I finally settled on a new book (I was having a similar feeling about choosing a new book as I was choosing a new pattern).




This novel has been on my bookshelves for much too long (pub date 2006!), but I started it last night and I'm hooked. It's a family saga with two sisters as the heart of the story. I'm only on page 5 but I can't wait to get home tonight and carry on.

14 comments:

  1. It's turning out gorgeous and I love the color!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great colour--it's going to be so pretty for that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous yarn you are knitting with!! Love the variations in the dye :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color changes do look fantastic! I cannot wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur. Crafters or anyone who makes things by hand gets it. The time and dedication + the heart that goes into an artistic creation is how we roll in the crafting community.
    I love how the yarn has those subtleties. The project is lookin' good so far :O)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colour you're using for your blouse - it's going to be gorgeous when it's done! I agree with you completely about sharing the love of handmade - if you don't do any sort of craft it's harder to appreciate someone else's :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the progress you've made, Evelyn. Lovely, lovely color.

    Nothing better than a good book at arm's length.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. That blouse is going to be amazing---the yarn is gorrrgeous and it's an interesting looking pattern! Also interesting: the title and your description of your current reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your color choice, but then again when don't I?
    That book is going on my "to read" list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see how that blouse looks finished! Such a beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see how it looks when it is all done, so far it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! How are you?
    Your blog and posts are wonderful, i really loved it!
    Best wishes and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your top :) LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Haha the color is just gorgeous. I hope the book is good too, I am going to go look it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute blouse pattern. It will be perfect for when the temps cool down a bit.

    ReplyDelete