Sep 19, 2012

Yarn Along 27

I'm joining in Ginny's Yarn Along this week.

Just in time for autumn weather, I finished my Sea Pines Pullover! I used Susan B. Anderson's formula for an easy top-down raglan sweater, and I'll definitely knit with this formula again (but with mods which I'll discuss below).



I knit this boxy pullover in Cascade Eco Cloud and absolutely loved how soft and lofty the yarn is.  The chain construction gives the knitted fabric a dense but not too heavy texture and I'm so happy with the color that I chose.

Some of you have commented on the fact that Miranda and I fit the same size ... I know, I'm 49 and she's 13, but we're both slim and I'm short petite.  She's on the tall side so you can see how the pullover is cropped on her torso. 


And so here's the rub. I should have cast on fewer stitches to start with and made the raglan section smaller.  I'm a 32" bust but the raglan numbers have made the pullover fairly wide, and I didn't do any shaping at the torso.  I suppose I could just lengthen the sweater overall but I'll be honest, I  can't bear to buy yet another skein of this yarn and increase the price of this hand-knit even more.



I wore it over the weekend on a date night with Mark and it was warm and cozy, but I'm a little worried that it will grow after a few washings.  I'm seriously thinking of re-knitting this and making it smaller.  I know, I know ... you're thinking that I've lost my mind but the yarn is gorgeous (and not cheap), and I'm trying to only add hand-knits to my wardrobe that I'll wear regularly and happily. I'll give it a quick wash and see how it fits after its dried.  But don't be surprised if I post about frogging this baby down the road!  Does this ever happen to you?  A project is lovely and wearable but it just doesn't feel completely right?  Yeah, this pullover is nagging at me a little and I don't like nagging. 



I've started a new novel as Egger's A Hologram for the King expired on my iPad (I borrowed the ebook from my local library).  During date night, Mark & I stumbled upon a great used bookstore in Brooklyn, and I picked up Dana Spiotta Stone Arabia which I'm totally loving. 

14 comments:

  1. So, does that mean that she also gets to wear your knits?

    I love this sweater just as it is - but I'm a sucker for "sloppy joe" sweaters. The color is gorgeous - I've got some Calmer on the way in just that color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater looks fabulous, I love the boxy shape. You ladies are lucky to be able to pull off that shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great jumper, the colour is gorgeous, so deep.

    I am not enough of a knitter to have experience of frogging and re-knitting and I think I would be a difficult candidate....but I totally understand what you mean, I've done it with painting and after knowing something's wrong you often don't shake the thought, generally when I've repainted something it's been a lot better second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know exactly how you feel. I've had two such projects, not a great feeling... in fact, that's what is going on with my self designed sweater right now... It is still a FO though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that nagging, oh boy how much have I ripped lately!!!!
    But - give this one to her - it is soooooo super cute on her! Make another for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do what you must to be at peace w/a project. I support you in any way :O).
    You are an inspiration for sweaters. I've been mulling over putting one on my to-do list. You know I'm a big Pinner and I have all these pins of simple sweaters over a cute, long-sleeved, collared shirt. I was thinking time to time damn, I should make my own b/c stores are too expensive and don't fit right like the length of the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes I know that nagging well, and if I don't listen, it either waits and is never worn, or I give in eventually and rip back and reknit. Listen to the nagging, its a gorgeous sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful sweater. I can´t believe you are considering unraveling it!?! Well, whatever makes you happy...that is BEST ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about a sweater that doesn't sit right. However, I'd suggest you give it a couple of wears, and if it still doesn't do what you want it to, frog at will! I find that sometimes I don't like something when I first finish it, but after I've worn it a couple of times, it's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must say, this is a gorgeous sweater, Evelyn.
    However, if you're hesitant at all about it's wearability in it's current size, then you're right to re-consider.

    However, it's fantastic looking. :^)

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm...about that frogging...Miranda looks like she likes it and I think it looks great on her. Ok, roomy, but cropped short I think it looks really nice. But, I have the fashion sense of a toad, so probably good to not to take my "advice."

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sweater looks great, I love the shape and the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sweater and model! I love the colour! Blue is my fave!

    ReplyDelete