Mar 18, 2013

The Heroine Chronicles: Hermione Everyday Socks

The first of my heroine socks are finished, and the Hermione Everyday Socks was a pleasure to knit.  I'm not sure that the pattern suited the yarn as the slipped stitch design probably looks better in a solid color, but I absolutely love how the Patons Kroy sock yarn knit up.  I knit this pair on US1 DPNs and the fabric that developed is thick, warm, and incredibly cozy.


This pattern took me back to a sock technique that I haven't done in a number of years.  That is, knitting a heel flap and gusset.  The heel flap is done in what's called a slightly modified garter-stich edged eye of patridge heel (quite the mouthful, huh?), and looks really polished. Working on the gusset was a ton of fun, and I was happy to be reminded of how much I enjoy it.


If you looked at the top photo closely, I'm sure you asked yourself if the foot is a little on the small side.  Yes, you're right, I think in comparison to the width of the leg, the foot seems abnormally small but it's mainly optical.  While I probably could should have been a bit more patient and knit another 1/2 inch on the foot for optimum comfort, the socks do fit albeit a bit snuggly.  Yes, I've been schooled!

13 comments:

  1. Those DO look cozy..and the heel flap looks great. Yup! I have said it before and will say it now, I need to do my first pair of socks and your posts are always so inspiring. Hope your week is great and that your weather has settled down...I keep seeing news headlines regarding storms in the midwest and storms in the east--while little old us just keep getting drizzley rain and now a cold winter wind.
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's always my problem too, the toes are either always too long or too short but never just right. I love that pattern with that yarn, it may not show up super well, but it adds a nice texture to the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely textured! :) And my hat is off to you for making socks! I have not ventured to socks or sweaters yet - maybe one day :) Thank you for the inspiration! :) ♥ Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I was wondering why they looked short in the foot! I thought they might be the "slouchy" type - like for dancers! That texture works so well with the coloring of that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely socks! But since I'm still wrestling with multiple WIPs and several Long Journey projects, I will not be tempted ... I will not be tempted ... I will not ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warm hugs for your feet! These look nice and thick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely socks! I love the heel flap/gusset process, it just seems so CLEVER! and eye of partridge is lovely too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a couple of slightly-too-short-but-oh-well socks, too. They still work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great. If you find the length it too annoying, you can always unpick the kitchener and rip back to the beginning of the toe... I've had to do that before and it's not too bad a process.

    I'm sure they're fine though. You probably have tiny feet to go with the rest of you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny! I just finished sock #1 of Hermione Everyday socks in Paton's Kroy and i also love this yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The look gorgeous, they look very warm, the variegated yarn is beautiful. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's almost as if you're speaking a foreign sock language!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm fascinated by that heel construction ... I'm off to look it up!

    ReplyDelete