Jul 22, 2014

And Now for Something Completely Different

When I returned to my WIPs over the weekend, I sadly discovered that my wrists grew sore after only knitting for about half an hour.  This, my friends, is unacceptable!  But I have to accept it, I suppose, or else I'll make myself miserable. So, what's a crafty girl like me meant to do? Yeah, you guessed it ~ try something new!


Ever since I started weaving, I've been wanting to make a rag rug so I did some research and went into action.  I pulled all my old bed sheets out of my linen closet and picked two queen-size flat sheets that should have been retired many years ago. I tore them into 2.5 inch strips and split-spliced them together.  

I then went to my local DIY big box store, picked up some dowels and elbow connectors, and McGuyvered (yes, that's a word, right?) myself a 3x4 loom.  I've never felt more geeky but in a really good way!


This is my progress so far, and I'm pretty happy with the result.  These aren't colors I would particular want in either my kitchen or bathrooms but as a first sample, I'm loving it.  Oh, did I mention that I have a fantastic local fabric store in my neighborhood?  Tomorrow calls for rain so guess what I'll be doing?

7 comments:

  1. I adore your rug!! You make me want to abandon the sweater I'm re-knitting because it was too big for home projects. Those are very cheery colors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Painful knitting does not sound good! I love your rag rug weaving though, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! How cone tour having wrist trouble after all this time? Boo. This rug is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is going to come with a tutorial right???.... because.....AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sympathy re. the wrists - I have a similar problem - and meanwhile I'm loving the rug weaving ... go you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! Love how you rigged this up. Also in love with those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're listening to your body. Take care of those wrists. It doesn't surprise me at all that you are finding your way.

    You are literally, crafty lady. I like the colors you're working with, but I love how your design mind works on samples and tries things out to see what works. I have not been much for tinkering these days. I want my immediate gratification ;)

    ReplyDelete