Oct 30, 2014

Shawls All the Time

I titled this post Shawls All the Time because that's how it has been feeling here at P:Stash. Every now and then, I go through periods when my knitting seems to be all about fill in the blank.  Over the last couple of years, I've gone through a serious hat phase and then a sock phase and then a blanket phase and this fall, my needles have been happily occupied by shawl patterns. 



If you have been keeping up with my blog, you know that I did my darnedest to finish my Shaelyn in time to wear to my niece's wedding, but I fell short.  Still, it was a real joy to knit, and I'm definitely going to knit another one.  The design in this Madtosh colorway is gorgeous and I can imagine knitting another one in a plum.



I then cast on and have since finished my first Lonely Tree Shawl which was a great knit.  I started this pattern several times a few months ago and just kept getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out how to read the charts.  So, I sadly set this pattern aside and then a month ago, I watched Staci's video tutorial for knitting a cabled cowl and once I saw her explain how to read a chart, the biggest light bulb went on over my head.  I grabbed a skein of LB superwash merino dk and cast on immediately.  I'm now an expert chart reader (not really, but I definitely get it now!!).





So, after the happy success of my Lonely Tree, it was obvious that I had to cast on an Elder Tree Shawl, this time for a dear friend who has a big birthday coming up.  I've had trouble with this yarn in the past ~ I guess I'm not the most comfortable knitting with yarn that has a silk content ~ but it's working perfectly in this pattern.

I'm tempted to really challenge myself with a heavy-duty lace shawl pattern but then again, it just may be hat season again!

14 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like to have a mix of all types of patterns on the go, and I almost always have several shawls. I knit the Shaelyn, as well, it's a great simple-but-striking pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work, as always and I completely relate ; ) Right now I too am obsessed with shawls ... and I'm pretty sure there's an impending bout of mitt-itis lurking on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I've been into shawls also - or at least favoriting them - although I don't wear them enough. But one can never have too many of anything !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want all the shawls right now too! Unfortunately Christmas knitting is all I'm doing right now, and that only to take the edge off of life because I'm super busy :P Once Christmas is over, I've promised myself that I'm going to cast on SEVERAL shawls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice when it all clicks! Those are all beautiful. When I get better at lace knitting I would love to make Rock Island. As it is, I have one shawl that's within the last few (but very long rows) of finishing, and another that is barely started but I'm not 100% sure of the colours. So I'm knitting socks while I decide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the same with with phases! Right now, all I want to knit is pullovers :-) These are so lovely, all three. But my favorite has to be the blue. And it is definitely hat AND shawl season - it's snowing here in Chicago today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went through a major shawl face earlier this year, but I've temporarily lost that juice. It will be back though. Your shawls are all very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up here. I do that too, focus on one thing for ages and then another and then another. Lately though I've just been concentrating on knitting something, anything, after a long time out with an injury.

    That is such a nice cowl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, meant to type shawl ... I have cowls on my mind, sorry.

      Delete
  9. You ARE on a shawl kick :) They all look fabulous! I love when you get that light bulb moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawls are such an accomplishment. They're right in-between a cowl and a garment. You pick very nice patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the shawl phase, it's working for me ;) No I love reading about all your knitting adventures. I always like to see what you're interested in and why.

    The shawl work is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally get the "thing" thing. I'm adoring shawls at the moment too! Although I sense a hat and cardigan come back might be heading my way soon. Love your Lonely Tree shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, they're all beautiful! You were the first to get me interested in shawls, but I put it off until now. I've always been such a sweater knitter. But, I'm so in love with my Antipodes that I'm going to try and follow it with two more shawls. Thank you for the nudge, Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete