Feb 13, 2015

The Long Haul

It's already mid-February and deep winter around here yet I have no big projects on my needles.  I think it's time to remedy that this weekend while we anticipate another few inches of snow and very chilly temperatures.

Looking around for just the right project reminded me that we knitters sometimes need instant gratification projects and sometimes toothy, commitment ones.  Should I tackle some fair isle colorwork?  A cabled pullover?  or maybe an intricate hat?  I just know that I want to have to work hard, pay attention, and push my brain to do some somersaults.


As I thought more about this new yet-to-be identified knitting project last night, I couldn't help but compare it to what I'm reading right now.  I've been wanting to read Anna Karenina for years ... probably since my college days ... and decided that now is the time! I went to my new local bookstore last weekend and happily found a lovely edition.

I'm completely swept up into the world of 19th century Russia and the lives of Anna, Vronsky, et al. This weekend will be spent alternating between my knitting and my reading (no, I haven't figured out how to do both just yet), and in my opinion, the only way to get through the rest of this winter!

6 comments:

  1. What is that book like? Old fashioned? Heavy? I'm curious about what you'll cast on next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I'm still trying to work my way through the American canon - slow going, as all I seem to read these days is sewing books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait t see what you cast on next--your projects are always so lovely. I have not read Anna, and probably won't. Maybe if we got some winter weather here in Seattle I would be tempted--but it is freakishly warm- the trees are budding, the birds are singing in the mornings and the frogs are singing at night! I envy your snow!
    xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  4. It definitely sounds like the weather is conducive to knitting and reading. I've had things stuck in the in progress state for a while. I love when you are in the zone either in a good book or good knit. enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, Anna Karenina is perfect wintertime reading! Such a heartbreaking story that only Tolstoy can write. Can't wait to see your future project. My answer to that knitter's dilemma is to cast on everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always so satisfying to finally read a classic you've been wanting to read for ages! And indeed, this one is perfect for winter.

    ReplyDelete