Feb 5, 2016

Goals!

I had very good intentions about blogging again at the start of January especially because I wanted to jot down my knitting goals for 2016. Clearly, those intentions stayed intentions, but I suddenly realized that Lunar New Year is just around the corner so I'll mark this much-loved holiday with notes about my aspirations with yarn and needles.  More than anything, I'm going to keep my goals super simple this year ~ I'm often way too ambitious with my wish list and end up feeling more disappointed than proud.  

So, here they are ~ three simple but still challenging goals I want to achieve:  



(1) I plan to choose my projects much more carefully.  What this means is that I'm going take my time assessing a pattern before it jumps onto my needles.  I don't know about you but I sometimes get I caught up in the frenzy of a popular project that inundates my IG feed and cast on with abandon.  Granted, they often are truly gorgeous, but they aren't always my style or something I would easily (or happily) add to my wardrobe.  So, I'm going to enjoy seeing everyone's beautiful pics, but I'll do some research on the whole project before I decide if it's worth my time, effort, and money.


One such project is the Wolf River pullover which I've been wanting to knit for a while.  I love the stitch pattern that covers the entire body of the sweater and I've been wanting to add a chunky, oversized pullover to my wardrobe for a while.  I've already finished the front, back, and side seaming so I should be able to wear this beauty really soon.

(2) I plan to push myself to try new techniques.  I will definitely spend time perfecting things I already know but what I really want to achieve this year are new-to-me methods like intarsia and set-in sleeves and steeking(!).

(3)  I plan to explore new-to-me yarns.  I don't usually knit in the suggested yarn for a project either because I'm too inpatient (and run to my stash first) or I get cold feet about spending money on yarns that I've never tried before.  In my quest to choose projects carefully, I know that knitting with the suggested yarns will make the whole experience that much more wonderful.  So, I hope I'll be sharing some thoughts soon on yarns that I've only seen you knit with or read about and will now experience first-hand.

An unofficial fourth goal is to create a capsule wardrobe which will mainly consist of hand-knit and hand-sewn garments.  This would be a huge goal if I accomplish it so I hope you'll cheer me on as I would love to do a recap in December of what I made.  

Now onto knitting those sleeves....

10 comments:

  1. Those are great goals. The Wolf River sweater is going to look fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence ... I got a lot more knitting done on this beauty and can't wait to try it on!

      Delete
  2. This is pretty. I like to wait a while to see how a popular pattern turns out as Ravelers tend to give helpful notes. But I would only buy it if it suits my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm learning to be more restrained about hitting the "buy" button on Ravelry!

      Delete
  3. That sweater has a very interesting pattern on it - I like it - but it looks like it's a bit of a stretch. I hope you can keep your goals! I will be watching and reading along :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you are back to blogging. I miss seeing all your knitted project. Love the pullover knit. Can't wait to see the finish project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much ~ I'm thiiis close to finishing the pullover!

      Delete
  5. Great goals! I especially like the first one. It's so easy to fall victim to a popular project even when the style doesn't quite fit into the everyday wardrobe. Love the stitch pattern for Wolf River.

    ReplyDelete