May 11, 2011

Another Birthday, Another Gift

There are some very special women friends in my life and one in particular is my zany friend Susan.  She is an incredible photographer, stylish mom, and funny beyond words.


Honeycomb Cowl in Madelinetosh DK
We met ten years ago when she was on assignment to photograph families with children of mixed ethnicities for our county's newspaper.  Our friendship was instant -- she showed up at the house (which, by the way, we were just about to move out of), chatted as if we'd known each other for years, and took the most tender photograph of my two children, then ages two and five.  I'll have to dig the photo up and post it another time.

Nowadays, we have to work hard to meet up for a quick lunch, brisk walk, or coffee break because both our lives are so full, but when we do meet up, watch out.  It's so much fun, and we talk a mile a minute just to squeeze in what we can in those precious minutes.



Susan's birthday is just around the corner -- a pretty special one -- and I made her one of my favorite cowls in one of my favorite yarns.  It works up quickly, and the pattern is very meditative to knit.  I love the yarn which is smooth and cushy between my fingers and super warm and cozy once knitted up into a cowl.

Close-up look at the stitch
I love this green -- jewel-tone, like an emerald -- and while I can't afford to give Susan jewels, I hope she'll wear this cowl with health and happiness.  Happy Birthday, Susan!



2 comments:

  1. Another Susan? You're breaking my heart. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I just bought my first skein of Madelinetosh--I'm going to try to the fingering weight. So so soft!

    ReplyDelete