May 1, 2011

Inspire me...

There is nothing more inspiring to me than traveling and getting out of my regular surroundings.  Don’t get me wrong — I love being home but, every now and then, I get a fierce itch to see new sights, smell new smells, and eat new food!  I’m a serious home cook and, as a family, we rarely eat out.  I just prefer making a home-cooked meal and bringing together beautiful ingredients.  But when I travel, I’m always excited to experience the local flavors and see what makes each place unique.
Traveling also gets my creative juices flowing and sparks my brain (and hands) to make things!  Our recent trip to St. Lucia was no exception.  The lushness and variety of the botanicals were magnificent, and I kept thinking about all the colors I wanted to try and capture in knitting or crochet.
Some of the best yarn companies are the small ones making batches of colorways that reflect the maker’s vision.  I love that and am inspired by them.  While I was roaming the beautiful Diamond Waterfalls and Botanical Gardens in Soufriere, I couldn’t help but think about how the small yarn companies that I admire really take their cue from nature. So for my next project, I’m planning to draw from nature and choose some beautiful yarns from folks like Tanis Fiber ArtsShelterAvalon Springs, or Blue Moon Fiber Arts and create something that will remind me of my stay in the islands.  I’ll be sure to share that new project with you soon so look out for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment