Jul 11, 2011

Sssss.... It's Millie

Amidst my year of projects, I've had to detour a little this weekend to knit a few baby gifts for a baby shower (twins) that I'll be going to this week.  I love knitting baby booties -- they're so cute and so easy to make -- but I wanted to make something else that could help decorate a baby's room and be a little whimsical.


(Millie the Snake)


Teddy bears are lovely as are little duckies, foxes, and kittens.  But I wanted to knit something a little more unusual for a baby's room and came across this adorable snake pattern.  I used bits from my stash and so didn't follow the pattern exactly in terms of its striped design but somehow, I love its two-toned head and its bright blue body.




The pattern also calls for the snake (I've called her Millie) to be filled with beans which I think is such a great idea but since Millie is for a newborn, I filled it with stuffing. The upside to stuffing it is that it's squishy and cuddly.




I kept Millie on the short side (oh, I hope the parents don't think it looks more like an eel than a snake) but I wanted her to lie easily in a crib or on a shelf.  I definitely plan to make another one, next time filled with beans and a touch longer so that it can curl up. And, finally, in Chinese culture, the snake is wise, charming, and represents good luck, all things I wish for these new babies!

13 comments:

  1. What a good idea for a present! I love totally unique presents that will always be remembered and treasured. I'm sure the little bundle will love this and it's a toy that will be used for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable, which is a huge statement from me cause I HATE HATE HATE snakes. I don't, can't even go through the snake house at the zoo...horrors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really, really cute. We gave a stuffed snake to my cousin's first born for his fourth birthday - he loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Millie is adorable! and cuddly looking I'm sure the child getting it will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I especially like the message it brings - ideal for a newborn baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, and it is nice to have different toys, everyone always goes for teddies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute, cute, cute! Like a pp said I abhor snakes, but Millie is charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Millie is adorable! Love it and great idea of a baby present.

    ReplyDelete