Nov 26, 2011

The Cardigan Chronicles -- Day 14

Tomorrow marks two weeks since I cast on the Autumnal cardigan and I'm really happy with my progress.  My KAL partner has given me ample support and while she claims that I don't really need it, her insight and words of encouragement have helped me get this lovely project humming along.




As you might remember, I ordered 12 skeins of Berocco Ultra Alpaca Light in Mahogany Mix for this cardigan.  Yes, 12 skeins, all of which I've turned into the sweetest little cakes




12 cakes also means that I need to join new yarn to old yarn throughout this project. My mother uses a method that I've yet to perfect.  She separates the end of the old yarn, adds a little spit to the end of the new yarn, and with the heat and friction of her palms, basically felts the two ends together.  In her hands, the result is like magic.  In my hands, what I get is a sticky, lumpy mess.


Fortunately, I came across a new method for joining yarn via Jane Richmond's tutorial on the magic knot.  It works like a charm and I'm relieved to know that I have yet another method to see me through the rest of the 10 cakes I'll be knitting with.  Here are some snaps of my work but see below for the tutorial (thanks, Jane).





 

13 comments:

  1. Yay, I love new techniques that make life easier. I bet your mom's method would make an awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! Thanks for sharing it! I can never get spit felting to work either. I think I just lack the patience for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I am constantly weaving in ends as I can not figure out any other way to join skeins together. This will be so nice.

    Love the color of your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you for this! I still have not mastered joining yarns in a way I am pleased with so this may do the trick!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evelyn, can you tell by your Comments?
    You have become super hero with your link to Jane's method of joining yarns.
    Thanks so much.
    I bet every one of us is going to grab a couple of yarns and give this great technique a try before the day of over.
    hugs
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are far too kind.

    That tutorial is interesting! I'm wondering if the knot will be able to be felt? I'll have to try it out to see! I have seen and tried a few other unusual techniques but have not been satisfied with any of them until now - like you, that felting one just doesn't work with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cardigan is looking amazing, I am so proud of you! Love that tutorial, I am going to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cardigan looks very nice. And the method is very interesting, too! I've used Russian join so far:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_c7567uOec&feature=related, works nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always us the spit splice with wool and alpaca--sometimes with not totally wonderful results. But I might give this knot a try with my next sweater project, post-holidays, which will be knitted in a 25% wool 75% acrylic mix. Thanks for posting about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah! That sweater is just taking off! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just tried out this technique on an alpaca/silk/wool blend yarn. I wanted to do a quick technique before we ran off to swimming.
    Do you like this better than the Rusdian join or vice versa?

    ReplyDelete
  12. so i am working on my sweater and it is time for me to join a new skein. and my mind came back to THIS post and the cool thing your mom does with the ends. i remember thinking that i would have to at least try it the next time i need to join ends. so here i am! just wanted to say that it really worked! and those ends are not coming apart no matter how hard i try to pull them apart! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much! I am so impressed with your magic knot and will begin using it right away. I have been knitting a long time and appreciate learning new ways to do things I thought would never change.

    ReplyDelete