I love the stitch technique that makes the moguls -- you basically pick up stitches from several rows below the current row and knit them. It takes some concentration but once I got the hang of it, I could knit the pattern from memory. I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a deep plum which is one of my favorite colors. It's so rich and a great alternative to black.
Unfortunately, there was a fairly significant error in the pattern which added too many pattern repeats in the largest size needle. I asked the designer about the length for the finished piece but it didn't make any sense since I was already at that length before even changing to the third smallest needle -- yes, this piece requires five different needle sizes.
I was frustrated that such a huge error was in the published pattern, but I was too far along to frog back. Okay, I could have frogged back but it would have been much too painful. So, I adapted and did fewer repeats in the subsequent needle sizes and in the end, the cowl is longer than it should be. Still, it doesn't matter much about the length since the person I'm gifting this to is on the tall side.
I love how this piece looks regardless of the error and in alpaca, it's a really cozy piece to wear. Once Christmas is over, I'll be putting this cowl back on my queue and knit one for myself this winter.
Happy Holidays, Everyone!