Feb 14, 2012

Sakina Shawlette

My friend Sakina threw herself a birthday party over the weekend to celebrate a milestone year.  She invited people from different parts of her life and it was a joyful gathering of her dearest friends and family.  A talented actress and writer, Sakina is also an amazing cook, and she fed her 60+ guests an incredible Indian meal that had the house smelling gorgeous.


Since this is such a special birthday and occasion, I wanted to knit something for Sakina that would be a bit luxurious and remind her of our friendship whenever she wore it.


Madelinetosh Pashmina in Composition Book Grey


I've had some Madelinetosh Pashmina in my stash for a little while now and decided that this would be the perfect little bit of luxury to use.  I cast on and slowly but surely a sweet little triangular shawlette developed.  It's a fairly basic pattern, one you've probably seen a million times, but as I wanted something less lacy and more dense, I chose to knit the increased YOs through the front loops rather than the back loops.  I love the result.





The color of the pashmina is  a grey blue and I think this shawlette will look beautiful tucked under a jacket or coat.  With its dense fabric, it's incredibly warm.  Perhaps with a shawl pin, it can also serve as a nice shoulder cozy for a simple cocktail dress.  If you have a bit of gorgeous pashmina or cashmere, I've included the pattern below, in case you need a shawlette in your wardrobe, too.



Doesn't Miranda look like a retro starlet in this photo?


Happy Birthday, Sakina!  I hope you enjoying wearing it for years to come.



Sakina Shawlette
400 - 425 yards of cashmere or pashmina
US 4, circular (29 - 32 inches)
Cast on 5 stitches and knit two rows.
Row 1:  knit 2, yo, pm, knit 1, yo, knit 2
Row 2:  knit all stitches making sure to knit into the front loop of the yos.
Repeat these two rows, taking care to slip the marker in row 1.  Knit until you near the end of the the skein, making sure you have enough left for binding off.  BO all stitches and weave in ends.

13 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your friend! I have yet to knit with madelinetosh but really need an excuse to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat madtosh! :) Such pretty photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great little shawl! I love that composition book grey- it's such a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so beautiful!! it looks perfect on her. Great colour choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a wonderful gift! I'm sure that she will always cherish it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sakina will love it but will love it even more that you thought of her and spend all that time for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful gift, beautiful yarn (love Tosh) and a gorgeous daughter/model!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully knit! I love the colour you chose; and yes your daughter is a star! well done! I need to try knitting with Tosh. I've been wanting to for quite some time now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're truly generous and loving friend. I'm sure your friend will enjoy wearing her shawlette for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cast this on today, using some beautiful Montera, Llama/wool from Stitch House Red Line Crawl. This pattern is addicting... is it the one you wore to Windsor Button when you visited?

    ReplyDelete