Nov 14, 2012

Yarn Along 31

I'm joining in Ginny's Yarn Along this week.

Who knew that when my camera went on the blink, my blogging would fall apart?  I suppose that's my own personal reaction ... no photos, no posts ... but I'm taking the good advice of two very good friends (yes, that's you Gail and Wei Siew) who encouraged me to use the camera tool on my iPad.


I feel limited in what I can do but perhaps with more practice, I'll start to be more comfortable using this camera tool.  For now, it gets me back here chatting with you and that's all that matters!

So, let's get back to knitting.  A few weeks ago, as I was reading my favorite blogs, Noreen wrote about a mink hat that she had just finished.  Yes, you read that right -- a mink hat!  I was intrigued by the idea of knitting with mink: there's the unique factor but even more, minks are unharmed in the process of gathering their fur.  I promptly went online, ordered up a few skeins of this mink/cashmere blend, and sat by my mailbox (okay, I exaggerate about the mailbox part but you know what I mean).

Honeycomb Wrist Warmers
My yarn arrived within just a few days, and I am excited to share my thoughts with you about this new discovery.  Craig Turner is the genius behind Great Northern Yarns and according to the company's Web site, "works tirelessly to bring only the finest animal and environmentally friendly yarns to market."  I was more than happy to support a small business like Craig's (whose 10-year old daughter helps with the packaging, by the way).



I knew that fingerless mitts would be yummy in this yarn, and I'm not disappointed.  While winding the skein into a ball, the yarn didn't feel particularly cushy or soft but when knit up, the yarn takes on a completely different texture and body.  I knit the Honeycomb Wrist Warmers as part of the Show of Hands KAL over on Ravelry and the pattern fit the yarn perfectly.  Take a look at the detail photo (#2) -- I think it shows how lofty and soft the yarn knits up.  I highly recommend this luxurious product and plan to knit more accessories with it myself.

As for reading, I finished Gone Girl (great twists throughout the book) and just started Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby. A while back, I read a great review of recently published novels that have musicians as main characters.  I love music and I love reading so the novels highlighted in this review are now must reads!




15 comments:

  1. I have to tell you Evelyn that I am very envious of that beautiful yarn. I need to check my yarn budget and order some, maybe it would make a great gift from my husband ;)
    I am about 3/4 of the way through Gone Girl on Audible and am throughly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- mink? I would never have guessed! Beautiful color and beautiful wrist warmers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it looks delicious! One of these days . . . !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, it looks so soft and luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A local company here has starting selling a mink yarn, so I am pleased to read your review, perhaps I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like it is very similar to NZ possum yarn, and with the addition of cashmere it will be so soft indeed! I bet it blooms and softens even more once you wash them! Glad to have you back on the blogging scene! I think Santa needs to be told to get you a camera for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh those arm warmers are so pretty, the yarn is gorgeous - i may need to get some of that - you ARE an enabler!! hehe. have a knitty wednesday xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh; I am starting to crave mink yarn now! I'll put that on my wishlist for Christmas!
    That is such a beautiful, saturated color. Your mitts came out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great pattern, and love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool! These came out great! I have one skein left and I think fingerless mitts is a great idea for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so squishy. Who have thought? I didn't even know you could get mink yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mitts look so cozy, I wish I had the desire to use dpns more than I do. I can't stand using them sometimes! I absolutely love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mink? It has a texture unlike any fiber I've ever seen! I'm sure that the fact that it is a blend hides a little bit of it's character, but I can definitely see that it is a unique fiber. So you have been trying two new things lately: an uncommon fiber and having to be resourceful with your photos, good work. Honestly, I have some photos from my iPhone that look better than anything my current dSLR can do (well with the lenses I have), if you get the conditions right those little cameras can do a lot. I'm sure that the iPad is even more versatile, especially when editing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wrist warmers look gorgeously luxurious in that yarn! What a bonus that the yarn comes from an environmentally friendly small company and that the minks are not harmed. The color is so deep and lovely. Did you have any problems with the dye bleeding? I will have to put this on my holiday wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a treasure, i have seen that company and will have to order soon too! thank you for sharing, your gloves are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete