Jan 28, 2013

Eats: Maple Glazed Apples

Last week, I challenged myself to cook only from what I already had stocked in my kitchen, and while I did have to shop for certain perishables such as milk and yogurt, I did fairly well making every meal from my pantry stash (as coined by my friend Wei Siew).

One item I always have on hand are apples, and they don't usually last very long in our fruit bowl.  Somehow, I noticed that our pile of Macintoshes were turning a little so I decided to cook them up for our regular French Toast Sunday. 


First, I peeled and cored them.


Then I went in search of spices:  cinnamon, nutmeg, and, of course, a bit of sea salt.
 


I first thought to sautee them in butter and glaze them with pure maple syrup, a staple in our pantry, but then I saw my bottle of Maple Agave Nectar and knew that this would make a wonderful sweetener. The combination of spices made the kitchen smell like winter because you know, in my house winter smells like maple glazed apples.



Maple Glazed Apples

Preheat oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

6 Macintosh apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons Maple Agave Nectar
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Combine spices and agave nectar in a large bowl.  Add diced apples and mix until well coated.  Spread on baking sheet and drizzle with melted butter.  Roast in oven for 15 minutes.

Serve with french toast ... or roast chicken!


11 comments:

  1. These apples look yummy! I have to try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I have some apples that I need to use up. I am going to do this tonight for supper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm impatiently waiting for the apple season here to begin. It will be nice to have apple pie and apple crumble again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! This is a great idea! I love maple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweetie you are! thank you for sharing this delicious sounding recipe, we just received some maple syrup for christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, these sound so good! I always love fresh apples and I can't wait for apple season to come around again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apples and maple make such a lovely couple together and your recipe looks delicious. For the next few days we are suppose to be in the mid 70's and then turn cooler again, the perfect time to prepare this for my family, thanks Evelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing, that sounds amazing! I may have to give it a try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had to prepare meals from staples in our house, we'd most certainly starve. We do buy some thing to keep in the cupboards but not much. Every day when we leave the gym, the kid starts screaming for an apple so we walk over to Sprouts (the local natural grocery) for one. We do always have fruit though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! Nutmeg is the most wonderful spice, I love the smell the best! So any recipe with nutmeg must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to eat healthy and use what you have. I bet these were so yummy.

    ReplyDelete