Apr 1, 2013

Pictureless Post

No, this isn't an April's Fool joke ... this is serious business.  Without planning to, I've been cold sheep for three whole months!  My last stash enhancement was a bushel's worth of Rowan Kidsilk Haze Trio in the snowberry colorway which I procured way back in mid-December.  That's right, December 2012! I fell in love with the yarn on a visit to Knitty City but had a hard time parting with my cash that day. Lo and behold, a few days later Craftsy had an incredible and yes, hard to resist, sale on this exact yarn in this exact colorway. It quickly found its way into my stash.

But here I am, having gone through January then February and now March without having bought one new skein of yarn.  I've been gifted some lovely yarn over the last three months thanks to two sweet and generous friends, and I've been extremely tempted. Yet, for some completely unintentional reason , I've been happy to simply knit from my stash.

Now that it's April and spring has most definitely sprung, I think I may be able to continue my cold sheeping for the unforeseeable future.  With a stash like mine -- 94 skeins at last count -- staying away from yarn purchases isn't exactly a sacrifice.

11 comments:

  1. I'm trying to knit from stash too, before I get so attached to the individual skeins that I want to keep them just for petting purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like stashes... And to me, leftovers are stash too ;-) I like to knit with freshly bought yarn! This is why I never buy a skein without a short-term project in mind! I'm so boring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your tenacity! I have added yarn to my stash, but I'm using it at a good rate. I believe I will finish everything I've queued in the last year. Plus, a lot of my stash is ancient, bargain bin acrylic and things that aren't as easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When the stash started overflowing its boundaries, I began to knit primarily from stash (emphasis on the word "primarily"). Shopping the stash first has encouraged me to think more creatively about what to knit, yarns and colors to combine in new ways, etc. It has been and continues to be a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sticking to your guns! I'm pretty good about it as well, notice the pretty. I don't know about your stash, but from mine, I can only knit small projects. I only have a skein or two of a color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. uhhh...remember the 2 skeins of Patron self-striping sock yarn you wanted...I did get them for you...:-) Doesn't it count even though they're with me and not with you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I have been a bad bad girl, what with Windsor Button closing, you don't want to associate with me... I need to do a skein count to see just how badly the stash has amassed in the past month. Though it is a delicious feeling to go to the stash for a hat and come out with Mad Tosh... just saying. Finishing up my Drizzle hat in Tosh Dk Ink. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, that is a feet! I really want to be that way, but I tend to not buy large quanities at a time so if a sweater comes along I have to buy the yarn. But I am slowly de-stashing my sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. May hat' off to ya, gal.

    Your 94 skiens got there cuz ya saw something wonderful about them

    Now all that's required is finding "that just right pattern"
    And that should be fairly cash free - - - ?right?

    Hugs to you Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I have been working on stashbusting for the past year, and it can be challenging but I think it is rewarding, too. It stretches your creativity a bit and, of course, also helps out your wallet :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too, am knitting-from-stash !!! Its a great cheap thrill, istn' it? :)

    ReplyDelete