Apr 7, 2014

One Skein Challenge

In my last post, I lamented about having a stash of one skeins and wondered about how to find the right projects for each of them. I thought a lot about this conundrum all weekend long with one particular skein in mind.  A couple of years ago ~ yes, I said a couple of years ago ~ I bought a skein of Ball and Skein's Glissade in a lovely blue-purple colorway at the Massachusetts Sheep & Wool Fair. It was hard to resist indulging in this beautiful mix of 50% merino and 50% silk, but what you should know is that I had never knit with such a blend before and I actually found the yarn ... well ... troublesome.  I cast on several projects in an attempt to find the right stitch pattern for the fabric it created but each time, I was disappointed. 

This skein was one of the first I came across last week and my immediate thought was to cast on the Elder Tree Shawl which I've admired for a long time.  I love the leafy lace details and the type of drape this shawl calls for fit the silkiness of this yarn perfectly.  But, try as I might, after knitting chart B the first time, I kept getting derailed in repeating it.  I don't easily give up and I swear I cast on and frogged this project at least five times before calling it a day.


In my search for a compatible pattern, I found nothing that really excited me so I turned to my trusty stitch dictionaries and knitting magazines and came up with an original design that is happily humming along.


I'm playing with this design as it evolves on the needles so only time will tell if this one skein has found its mission.  Stay tuned.

FYI  ~ I've called this post One Skein Challenge as I've decided to do my best to knit down my one skein stash this spring.  It should be interesting ...

12 comments:

  1. I have a skein of that...one skein challenge...love it I have so many and CT Sheep and Wool is coming up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know what pattern you have in mind for your skein. It's so pretty but it has some properties that I have found a little challeninging.

      Delete
  2. Ah, I am familiar with the one skein stash problem. Depending on the weight of the yarn, it offers different challenges don't you think? Just curious, but what yarn weight/type seems to dominate your 1 skein situation? For me it used to be dk or worsted. Lately it's sock. What lingers the longest? lace without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty excited about this challenge ~ I've not thought of my one-skeins in this way before so I think it can be a fun spring-time activity. As for what dominates my one skein stash, I'd have to say fingering for sure!

      Delete
  3. I hear you on the one skeins. I got tons from buying sprees. Good for you on breaking down that stash. Good luck with this shawl. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shopping sprees are a mixed bag, right!!??

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I had to frog my Elder Tree Shawl too for the same reason, but I hope to try it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should try to knit the Elder Tree Shawl together!!

      Delete
  5. Have you looked at the "One Skein Wonders" books? They have a lot of really nice projects for different weights of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my one skeins and often end up using them together for larger shawls or projects. Like you I am on a constant search for the perfect one skein projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, this is lovely! Can we get a close-up of that fancy stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a hard challenge...but I am sure you will find beautiful soluctions :-)

    ReplyDelete