Apr 25, 2012

Knitting (Super) Hero - 3KCBWDAY3

It's an understatement for me to say that I think about knitting all.the.time.  Wow, that's serious, right? But I do. I wake up thinking about knitting, and I go to sleep thinking about knitting. During the day, I think about yarn and patterns I want to knit with and about the projects that are already on my needles just waiting for me to get back to them. Yes, I do this while at work (shhhh).


In thinking about my obsession passion, I have to acknowledge that the person who started it all was my mother, Leslie.  She taught me when I was young, probably as early as grade school.  Yes, I was taught on those awful plastic needles (mine were yellow, I believe) with equally awful acrylic yarns, but it didn't much matter (back then, anyway). I found it magical, using two sticks and a strand of yarn, and turning those simple motions into a scarf. My first attempts were terrible -- uneven, dropped stitches, too short -- and there was a point when I just stopped trying. My mother kept on knitting. It wasn't that important to have her daughters knit, and our lack of interest didn't take away from her own passion.


Fast-forward to today: I rediscovered my love of knitting about 10 years ago but it was a gentle re-entry. In the last five years or so, I've turned that rekindled interest into a full-force passion. I knit, I blog, and I'm just dipping my toe into designing.  So, who's my knitting hero? It has to be my mom whose ability I've written about most recently here.


Yes, that's me and my mother


There are so many knitters and designers out there who constantly inspire me ... too many to name, really ... and Ravelry has definitely been an incredible community that I rely on, day after day. It's been fun reading who other knitters consider their heroes so if you want to get some inspiration yourself, google 3kcbwday3 and enjoy!

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! And the photo is sweetness itself!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, I always love to hear how knitters get their start. I also learned from my mother, and I seriously think that is the best way to learn. I'm not sure I would be where I am now if she hadn't of taken the time to help me learn. I love the photo of you two together, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom's are the best! Today's topic is great because I'm learning so much about my fellow knitters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream about knitting at work too! If I need a quick pick-me-up I go to Ravelry and make plans for my stash...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo of your mom and you.
    And I can relate to your passion, which I think is fueled by SO many ideas out there. But it is a healthy obsession, isn't it? (or so I tell myself!)
    Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely read. I hope to one day inspire my daughter to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great photo of you and your mom! And thinking about knitting all the time at work - that's perfectly acceptable. Let's hope you spare a few thoughts for your husband and kids (but of course you do!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, this is just a lovely post. I can't wait to teach my girls to knit, it is such a wonderful thing to pass down. I learned through a book, but have since tried to help my Mom start knitting as well. I think when she retires I'll have to schedule some one on one lessons, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crochet with RaymondApril 25, 2012 at 2:15 PM

    A lovely post Evelyn, my Mum is my kitting super hero too! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great pic of you and your mum! Love how the tradition of knitting is continued.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable photo of you and your mom. Maybe my boys will learn to knit. Lord knows they like to pull at my yarn and needles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of you and your mom. What an awesome and heartfelt post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful hues in your yarn. Makes a warm fuzzy feeling to know your mom inspires your crafts, but also feels like community to know Ravelry is connecting so many of us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I'm relieved to hear that someone else shares my guilty obsession and thinks about knitting at work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your childhood memories! Your mom sounds wonderful. That's a sweet photo, too.

    I think about knitting all the time, too! It's amazing I ever get any work done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you and your mom have a nice bond.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that photo of you and your mom. It is so wonderful to have a common love of knitting that you can share with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a cool post. You write well. The love of knitting is a wonderful thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my Favorite Project: Stash posts is this one:
    http://projectstash.blogspot.com/2011/10/knit-two-together.html

    Evelyn, you and your mother - knitting duo.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep getting something in my eye and throat reading about the debt so many of us owe to our mothers and grandmothers, who patiently taught us these valuable skills, even when we took years or decades to appreciate what we'd been taught. Beautiful photo too :)

    ReplyDelete